This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6472 / 51°38'49"N
Longitude: -4.7933 / 4°47'35"W
OS Eastings: 206845
OS Northings: 197959
OS Grid: SS068979
Mapcode National: GBR GC.C9MV
Mapcode Global: VH2PQ.VVVN
Entry Name: Cattle Pound
Listing Date: 12 March 1996
Last Amended: 12 March 1996
Source ID: 18011
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: On the SE side of the main street of Manorbier, and about 75 m NE of the turning to Warlow’s Close.
Community: Manorbier (Maenorbŷr)
Locality: Manorbier Village
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A circular cattle-pound of about 9 m diameter consisting of a roughly coursed limestone rubble wall, with no coping. The height of the wall is about 1.8 m. The date of construction is unknown, but it is similar to Castlemartin Pound, dated 1780. In 1840 the site was in the Philipps estate. It was disused by 1900.
In 1900 the bier-house was built, most of which stands within the pound. Limestone rubble masonry at the rear, snecked facing masonry at the front. The bier-house is a cart shed with its gable and double-doors facing the street. It is 2.4 m wide by 4 m long internally. Slate roof. Carved bargeboards with timber finials. Framed, braced, ledged and battened doors. The door-frame head is in segmental form. Brick segmental arch to the rear doorway.
The cattle-pound interior behind the bier-house is maintained as a public garden. The bier house is used as an information point for local tourism.
In the street in front of the Bier House is a cast-iron water hydrant, manufactured by Glenfield and Kennedy of Kilmarnock.
Listed for special historic interest as items of unspoilt social value to the locality.
Other nearby listed buildings