This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6502 / 51°39'0"N
Longitude: -4.7787 / 4°46'43"W
OS Eastings: 207862
OS Northings: 198263
OS Grid: SS078982
Mapcode National: GBR GC.V1GD
Mapcode Global: VH2PR.4S09
Entry Name: The Grange
Listing Date: 12 March 1996
Last Amended: 12 March 1996
Source ID: 18015
Building Class: Domestic
Community: Manorbier (Maenorbŷr)
Locality: Baldwin's Moor
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Near the B4585 turning to Manorbier village from the A4139. The site is marked on the OS as ‘Baldwin’s Moor’. The property is now divided, and the part known as ‘The Grange’ with the old farmhouse at its rear is reached by a private drive from the A4139.
History: Baldwin’s Moor is not i the manorial surveys of 1601-18, and the old farmhouse appears to have originated in the early or mid C17. It is sandwiched between the present houses called Baldwin’s Moor and The Grange was built in the late C18 or early C19 as the new Baldwin’s Moor Farmhouse. In 1840 it was owned by Arthur Williams and occupied by F T Biddulph. [Its stable block at the rear (W) has recently been enlarged and converted to a house and separated under the name Baldwin’s Moor].
Old Farmhouse: The C17 house is of one storey plus attic and is reached by a cobbled yard. Dormer windows recently enlarged. Some original roof structure survives. The yard contains an old well with hand pump, still in use. The cobbling of the yard is much restored. The early/mid C19 house abuts on the E.
The Grange: Two storeys, range of 3 windows, facing E to gardens where there was formerly a large carriage-sweep. Local stonework of high quality, smooth-rendered and painted white. Roof of artificial slates with a tile ridge. End-chimneys with rendered stacks, each chimney of 4 flues.
Twelve-pane upper windows with sashes and recessed frame. One is replaced, 2 are original. The lower sash windows are bays of early or mid C19 with 6 panes to the front and 4 panes to the flanks. Front door of 6 panes, the top and middle ones fielded and the bottom ones flush. A rebuilt porch at the front using earlier cast-iron columns.
Interior: New hardwood entrance hall floor. Six-panel internal doors. Some original ceiling plasterwork. Dogleg staircase with open strings and 2 square balusters per tread. Turned newel and swept handrail.
Listed as a good late Georgian house with a C17 house at rear.
References: Tithe Survey of Manorbier (1840) parcel 662
Other nearby listed buildings