This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1007 / 52°6'2"N
Longitude: -4.1462 / 4°8'46"W
OS Eastings: 253092
OS Northings: 246883
OS Grid: SN530468
Mapcode National: GBR DP.9S6M
Mapcode Global: VH4GW.2GXF
Entry Name: Coach-house and stables at Castell-du
Listing Date: 20 December 1996
Last Amended: 20 December 1996
Source ID: 18081
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 40m to rear of Castell-du, facing SE.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19 coach-house and stable range, probably contemporary with the house, built 1831 for Thomas Hughes. Marked on 1844 Tithe Map.
Rubble stone with slate roof and W end squared-stone bellcote with arched opening and eroded top. Long two-storey range with three square boarded 2-light loft lights under eaves, the left two closer-spaced. Ground floor has shuttered two-light window to left with cambered head and stone voussoirs, set to left of loft window above. Then broad arched coach-entry with stone voussoirs, aligned with window above, and to right window with stone voussoirs aligned with window above. 8-pane top-light, boarded below. To rear is low gabled tack-room with N end stone stack and shuttered 2-light W window.
Interesting plan with centre coach-house and access to stables from within. Left stable has stalls for two horses, right has become a loose-box. Ledged doors, cobbled floors. Stairs to loft from back of coach-house.
Listed as a formal early C19 estate building, part of a very good group of outbuildings at Castell-du.
Other nearby listed buildings