This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0958 / 52°5'44"N
Longitude: -4.1411 / 4°8'27"W
OS Eastings: 253429
OS Northings: 246324
OS Grid: SN534463
Mapcode National: GBR DP.B1GX
Mapcode Global: VH4GW.5LN7
Entry Name: Felin yr Aber
Listing Date: 20 December 1996
Last Amended: 20 December 1996
Source ID: 18085
Building Class: Industrial
Location: Situated about 1 km S of Llanwnnen, reached by drive running SE off B4337.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
C18 water-powered corn-mill altered in C19, part of the Castell-du estate. Marked on 1844 Tithe Map as owned by Thomas Hughes of Castell-du and occupied by Benjamin Jones. Carefully restored from dereliction since 1988.
Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roof, one storey and loft, built into bank such that N side has single broad entry to loft. Double ledged doors. E end has loft window with timber lintel and broad ground floor door with cambered arch, stone voussoirs and double ledged doors. E end has large 3.81m wheel of unusual (1.22 m) width, probably later C19. Casement pair window above. S side has casement pair window each floor to left and broad cambered 9-pane window to ground floor centre. Stone voussoirs to ground floor windows.
Added SE kiln-house with slate roof. E side has door to right, to kiln room, and small window to ground floor left, with slightly larger first floor window above. S gable has loft window and further light in gable. One first floor casement pair on W side.
Ground floor pit wheel and cast-iron crown-wheel with extra wheel on top to drive a lay-shaft. Two stone nuts. Machinery probably mid to later C19, possibly renewed in early C20. C20 renewed joists and floor to loft. Loft has two mill stones, one with plate "Kay & Hilton Fleet St Liverpool 1856". Three heavy oak roof trusses, perhaps C18, tie beam and collar, pegged, with an arched brace between second and third trusses with pulley for hoist. Ledged door in SE corner to kiln-house loft which has pierced tile drying floor and two pine roof trusses. Kiln room below has whitewashed stone kiln with recessed hearth.
Listed as a complete working water-powered corn-mill of scarce regional character.
Other nearby listed buildings