This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.614 / 52°36'50"N
Longitude: -3.6308 / 3°37'50"W
OS Eastings: 289679
OS Northings: 303055
OS Grid: SH896030
Mapcode National: GBR 9C.8GQ0
Mapcode Global: WH68J.6K9C
Entry Name: Llanbrynmair Railway Station and house
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18118
Building Class: Transport
Location: The railway passes to the N of the village. The station is approximately 100m from the junction of the lane with the A470.
Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Llanbrynmair lies on the Newtown to Machynlleth railway line which was constructed following the Act of 1857, and became part of the Cambrian Railway network in 1864; the Londonderry's of Machynlleth were closely involved and the contactors were David Davies and Thomas Savin. It was completed in 1862. Llanbrynmair station is an example of a rural station on this line, dated 1864, and therefore contemporary with the formation of the Cambrian Railway.
Single storey station with attached 2-storey stationmaster's house at the W end behind the long platform. Snecked bullnosed rubble construction with slate roof and stone chimneys with yellow terracotta pots, but one of red brick on the gable of the house. Ornate cusped bargeboards to gable ends and to the front gable of the house - most retain their finials and pendants. The station has a 4-bay platform front set back under a canopied roof, with cross-frame windows and 4-panelled door to the right. The front of the 'L'-plan stationmaster's house has an advanced gable with a 3-light cross window in the end and a similar gable treatment to the dormer gable on the main range set back on the right. Flat roofed extension attached to the W end of the house.
Not accessible at the time of inspection (August 1996).
Listed for its special interest as a well preserved rural station dating from the early years of the Cambrian Railway.
Other nearby listed buildings