History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Glantwymyn

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbrynmair, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.588 / 52°35'16"N

Longitude: -3.645 / 3°38'42"W

OS Eastings: 288652

OS Northings: 300180

OS Grid: SH886001

Mapcode National: GBR 9B.B56T

Mapcode Global: WH68P.Z6GT

Entry Name: Glantwymyn

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18126

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The house is located at the centre of the small former flannel weaving community, where the small Wern brook joins the Afon Twymyn.

County: Powys

Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)

Community: Llanbrynmair

Locality: Bont Dolgadfan

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanbrynmair

Exterior

c. 1820-1830. Rubble stone and slate roof. Two storeys, consisting of a single subdivided room on each floor. Boarded door opens to lobby at the side of the gable stack. Four-paned timber cross windows, the upper windows gabled above the eaves. Montgomeryshire pebble paving in front of door.

Interior

Main living room is partitioned to provide service room and stair at rear, rising to landing and single chamber on upper floor.

Reasons for Listing

Included as one of the best preserved and most westerly examples of this type of 'cube' house.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Bont Dolgadfan
    At the centre of the hamlet of Bont Dolgadfan.
  • II Tremafon
    Located on right side of the road from the centre of the village leading to Ty-gwyn and below the Independent Chapel.
  • II Brynawel
    Located on right side of the road from the centre of the village leading to Ty-gwyn and below the Independent Chapel.
  • II Bont Dolgadfan Independent Chapel, with railed forecourt
    Located near the centre of Bont Dolgadfan, beside the road leading to Ty-gwyn farm. The chapel is set lengthwise and above the road, behind its railed forecourt set on the retaining wall.
  • II Bethel Chapel and Forecourt Railings
    The chapel is located at an angle to the road, at the entrance to Bont Dolgadfan village from the B 4518, behind the house Tan-y-capel. The schoolroom and meeting room are attached by a lean-to roof
  • II Bont Pandy mill and mill house, formerly known as Gelli-dymyll Mill.
    The mill and mill house are located below the road from Llanbrynmair to Staylittle, approximately 350m S of the juntion with the Bont-dolgadfan and Talerddig Road. Set over a small stream where it joi
  • II Former grain and timber kiln
    Set immediately beside and below the road with its gable end facing diagonally across a corner at the top of the steep hill down to Bont Pandy. It is slightly to the N and opposite the drive and lodg
  • II Sundial in the Churchyard of the Church of St Mary
    Located to the south of the W end of the church, approximately 5 metres from the corner of the Vestry.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.