This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5886 / 52°35'18"N
Longitude: -3.6466 / 3°38'47"W
OS Eastings: 288543
OS Northings: 300248
OS Grid: SH885002
Mapcode National: GBR 9B.B4T8
Mapcode Global: WH68P.Y6PC
Entry Name: Bethel Chapel and Forecourt Railings
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18127
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is located at an angle to the road, at the entrance to Bont Dolgadfan village from the B 4518, behind the house Tan-y-capel. The schoolroom and meeting room are attached by a lean-to roof
Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)
Locality: Bont Dolgadfan
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Chapel of the Calvinistic Methodist meeting, first built in 1767, and rebuilt in 1820. It was entirely renewed in 1895, to which date the interior fittings belong.
A large building with the entrance facade facing N away from the road. Rock faced snecked stone with old slate roof. Entrance front symmetrical, with a central pair of doors with fanlight in a shallow gabled porch. Two storeys of 8-paned sashes, with limestone heads and sills to openings, the upper windows round headed, the lower segmental, both keyed. Large central tablet giving the date of constructions. One painted zinc pyramidal roof vent set centrally to ridge. To the rear a single storey vestry and 3-bay schoolroom with hipped roof and 8-paned sashes, canted at the corner.
The forecourt is paved with blue stable bricks and has cast iron railings of 1896 by J.D.Davies of Machynlleth mounted on a low slate coped wall.
Raked gallery around two sides with a panelled and balustraded front, all supported on fluted Composite columns. Panelled pulpit with classical panelled Ionic reredos and a half-round fan head. Numbered pews. White marble wall tablets to William Howell and wife, d.1854 and 1862.
Included as a well preserved chapel displaying the assurance and comparative wealth of the local Calvinistic Methodist community at the end of the C19.
Other nearby listed buildings