History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Cwm-carnedd-uchaf

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanbrynmair, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6128 / 52°36'45"N

Longitude: -3.6027 / 3°36'9"W

OS Eastings: 291580

OS Northings: 302870

OS Grid: SH915028

Mapcode National: GBR 9D.8HN8

Mapcode Global: WH68J.MLNC

Entry Name: Cwm-carnedd-uchaf

Listing Date: 31 January 1997

Last Amended: 31 January 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18132

Building Class: Domestic

Location: The farmhouse is located near the head of the lane leading from Dolfâch up the Banc y Gorlan, and is sited across the slope facing S across the valley.

County: Powys

Community: Llanbrynmair (Llanbryn-mair)

Community: Llanbrynmair

Locality: Dolfach

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Talerddig

History

Built c.1840, probably replacing an earlier farmhouse on the site. It is possible that Ezeciel Hughes of Cwm-carnedd who led the ill-fated emigration party to Tennessee in the year 1857, lived here.

Exterior

c.1840. Stone rubble with a slate roof. Two storeys, four bays, with the entrance in the 3rd bay from the left, and a cellar in the right end bay. A 2-bay service wing extends to the rear. Part glazed inset front door. Six-pane sash windows, rebuilt, with inset stone cambered arches, and timber lintels to the upper floor, but 6-light timber windows to the rear, the upper centre light having quadrant iron casement. Main axial stack built of stone is in the centre bay, to the left of the through passage, and blue brick stacks to both gable ends.

Interior

Not accessible at time of inspection. (August 1996)

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved example of a C19 remodelling of an upland farmhouse, unusual in the highland areas of Montgomeryshire.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Yr Hen Gapel, forecourt railings, and Minister's house
    Located on the E side of the hamlet of Dol-fâch, above the railway line. The chapel is approached b
  • II Milestone at the N end of Dol-fach
    Located in the grassed verge near the N end of the layby on the NW end of the hamlet of Dol-fâch.
  • II Coed Cae
    The farmhouse is located approximately 600m S of the centre of the village, and is set with its left
  • II Bryn llys
    The house is located on rising ground, set back from the main A470 and approached through fine iron
  • II Diosg
    Farmhouse located on a platform site at the head of its farmyard, at the foot of the Newydd Ffynyddo
  • II Cwm gwyn
    Located on a bank overlooking the Afon Rhiwsaeson at the centre of the small hamlet at Pandy.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.