This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5782 / 52°34'41"N
Longitude: -3.337 / 3°20'13"W
OS Eastings: 309498
OS Northings: 298658
OS Grid: SO094986
Mapcode National: GBR 9R.BP2N
Mapcode Global: WH79Z.QG4B
Entry Name: Tregynon School Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18148
Building Class: Education
Location: Located at a junction of 2 minor roads 50m SW of parish church. The wall forms the S and E boundary of the school, and extends W to the front of the School House.
Built-Up Area: Tregynon
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Constructed with the school in 1871 in unreinforced concrete by Henry Hanbury-Tracy as part of the Gregynog Estate. Hanbury-Tracy's use of the material on the Gregynog Estate was intended to demonstrate the economic benefits of building in concrete. The concrete was made from river gravel and crushed brick bonded with cement. It was laid in wet courses directly onto the wall using timber shuttering and finished with a thin skim coat of render.
The wall is of rendered concrete with saddleback coping, with large unrendered blank panels in which the use of crushed brick creates gives a reddish hue. On the E side the wall is swept up to gateposts with pyramidal caps. N of this a new gateway allowing vehicular access was inserted late C20.
Of special interest for its experimental use of concrete, and for group value with Tregynon School and the School House.
Other nearby listed buildings