This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5668 / 52°34'0"N
Longitude: -3.3514 / 3°21'5"W
OS Eastings: 308496
OS Northings: 297406
OS Grid: SO084974
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.CCKJ
Mapcode Global: WH79Z.HR93
Entry Name: Garden Bridge
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18151
Building Class: Gardens, Parks and Urban Spaces
Location: Located in front of Gregynog Hall and spanning a sunken garden.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Built in concrete to span a sunken garden which was formerly a shallow pool. The bridge is said to have borne a plaque dated 1880 recording its construction. The use of unreinforced concrete was pioneered c1870 by Henry Hanbury-Tracy for cottages and farm buildings. By 1880 he had reverted to brick for farm buildings, but persisted with concrete for the bridge, perhaps for the aesthetic effect of its extremely coarse aggregate. The concrete was made from river gravel and brick fragments bonded with cement. It was laid in wet courses directly onto the wall using timber shuttering. The original parapet was largely replaced after 1972.
Single arch bridge faced in unreinforced concrete with a rubble core, and a parapet with splayed ends and piers to which figurines were later added. The concrete is of an extremely coarse aggregate of river borne pebbles and large brick fragments used for their colour effect. Beneath the arch the concrete was laid between 5 courses of shuttering, in which putlog holes are visible. The tunnel vault is of a finer aggregate and is impressed with the boards of the arch former. The parapet is largely modern, in a fine concrete.
Listed for its pioneering use of unreinforced concrete, its method of construction being clearly discernible, and for group value with Gregynog Hall and other items at Gregynog. It also forms an important component of the surviving group of concrete buildings in Tregynon.
Other nearby listed buildings