This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5754 / 51°34'31"N
Longitude: -2.9792 / 2°58'45"W
OS Eastings: 332236
OS Northings: 186734
OS Grid: ST322867
Mapcode National: GBR J6.CWX6
Mapcode Global: VH7BD.9NVP
Entry Name: Lock walls to mouth of Old Town Dock
Listing Date: 31 January 1997
Last Amended: 31 January 1997
Source ID: 18179
Building Class: Maritime
Location: Located on the N bank of the river Usk on the Old Dock Reach, lying immediately to the S of the roundabout junction of the A4042 with Dock Parade.
Community: Pillgwenlly (Pilgwenlli)
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The Old Town Dock officially opened on the 15th October 1842, and closed in 1929, being infilled in 1932. Constructed to designs by John Rennie the younger (1794-1874), the nationally important engineer, by Dike and Meyrick of Bristol, for the Monmouthshire Canal Company. The dock entrance lock was only the third of its type to have been built in S Wales, and is the earliest dock entrance lock to survive.
Mid C19 dock lock revetment walls at mouth of former Old Town Dock. Approximately 170 metres in length by 22 metres wide. Constructed of massive blocks of Pennant sandstone ashlar with granite jamb stones at rebates for former dock gates, since removed. Evidence of twin dock gates. Some cast iron bollards survive to either side of dock wall, beneath modern infill material and vegetation.
Listed grade II as an historically important fragment of the Old Town Dock, the oldest surviving example of a dock entrance lock in South Wales.
Other nearby listed buildings