This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6003 / 52°36'1"N
Longitude: -3.3528 / 3°21'9"W
OS Eastings: 308475
OS Northings: 301138
OS Grid: SJ084011
Mapcode National: GBR 9Q.9C5W
Mapcode Global: WH79S.GWNX
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 February 1997
Last Amended: 4 February 1997
Source ID: 18192
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in a protected position close to the Church, within a roughly circular garden bounded by a slight ditch.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early C19, and shown on maps of 1809 and 1821 in its current plan form. Probably built as the Rectory for the adjacent Church of St. Gwyddelan (rebuilt in 1865), and in use as such until 1970.
L-shaped plan form comprising a symmetrical front range and rear wing. 2 storeys and probable cellar. Flemish bond brickwork painted white under a slate roof with brick end stacks. Dentilled eaves course. The front (E) elevation is a 3-window range. Central French windows in original main entrance flanked by 25-pane, horned sash windows under brick arched heads. The upper storey has 9-pane horned sash windows under flat-arched, gauged brick heads. The rear range is lower and appears to be the service wing. It has a cat slide roof on its N side, probably an original feature given the dentilled eaves course, below which is the rear door, panelled, with top light and within a moulded door frame. There is a 16-pane sash window to its right, within a moulded frame. There is a similar 12-pane sash window on the rear elevation of the front range. The S elevation of the house comprises the rendered gable end of the front range and side of the rear range. It contains sash windows and small pane casements of varying sizes. There is a small lean-to on the end of the rear range with a planked door and C20 window.
The 3 bay plan-form of the front range has been retained. The staircase is located to the S of the French windows (formerly the front door), although the lowest flight has been turned through 90°. The rear range has been altered, and there is said to have been a second staircase located between the two ranges, probably for servants. Original detail includes the staircase and panelled doors.
Listed as a well preserved example of an early C19 Rectory retaining its original character.
Other nearby listed buildings