History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hen llys

A Grade II Listed Building in Manafon, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6185 / 52°37'6"N

Longitude: -3.3024 / 3°18'8"W

OS Eastings: 311924

OS Northings: 303104

OS Grid: SJ119031

Mapcode National: GBR 9S.85M9

Mapcode Global: WH79T.7FPX

Entry Name: Hen llys

Listing Date: 4 February 1997

Last Amended: 4 February 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18224

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located on rising ground about 200m N of the road, and accessed by a driveway through the former farm buildings.

County: Powys

Town: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Community: Manafon

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Tregynon

History

Built in 1898 by John Douglas of Chester for Mrs Perrins-Williams, replacing an earlier small gentry house on the site.

Exterior

Constructed with squared rubble with red sandstone dressings, and a slate roof. Two storeys and cellar, four bays. The main entrance is an ashlar sandstone shallow porch in Tudor style, with octagonal shafts rising from angle buttresses flanking a wide moulded central arch, over which is a coat of arms in a panel set above a horizontal string, and rising through the parapet. The inscription cut immediately over the door reads ANNO 1898 DOM . The coat of arms has the motto CLEW AWYD CLEW HYDYR LLWYD. The central three bays are gabled, and spaced by recessed narrow half-bays. Stone mullioned and transomed windows with label hoods, but flattened ogee tracery to the 4-light window central over the porch. The fourth, outer, bay on the W end has the upper floor slightly jettied on heavy corbels and has a stepped gable . A further extension to the left has been added in the C20 using similar materials. Paned leaded windows set into the stonework with multiple margin glazing to the lights above the transoms. The E bay has a crenellated 2-storey canted bay with similar windows. Stacks have diagonally set brick shafts flanking a centre stack.

The E facade has a semi-external stack, and a north end bay with corbelled upper floor with stepped gable.

Interior

Not accessible at the time of inspection (September 1996). Said to have panelling and carved woodwork similar to that in the church (see Reference below).

Reasons for Listing

Included as an important house of the area designed and built by a major fin-de-siecle architect in his own inimitable English Domestic style.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Dol-terfyn
    Set close to and parallel with the main Manafon to Berriew Road, immediately E of The Green.
  • II Bron-y-rhiw Cottage
    Located above the S bank of the Afon Rhiw, at the end of the small lane leading S off the main Berriew to Llanfair Caereinion road, leading past the Old Rectory.
  • II The Grange, also known as The Old Rectory
    Set back from the road in a riverside position, directly off a small lane. The former coachhouse and stable lies to the E.
  • II Glyn ganol
    Set gable end to the lane, at the head of the productive land in the small valley of the Afon Glyn.
  • II* Church of St Michael and All Angels
    The church stands centrally in the formerly oval churchyard, at the centre of the village. The churchyard, which was extended c.1926, has a lych-gate (q.v.) and a granite war memorial in the S corner
  • II Lych gate to the churchyard, Church of St Michael and All Angels.
    Located in the S corner of the churchyard and opening directly on to the main road. Immediately to the E is the granite war memorial.
  • II The Smithy
    Located close to the road at the W end of the village, with the smithy immediately to the right, and two mid C20 hand operated Avery-Hardoll petrol pumps with illuminated globes to the left.
  • II Manafon smithy
    Located immediately E of The Smithy cottage, at the E end of Manafon village centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.