This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0533 / 53°3'11"N
Longitude: -3.9038 / 3°54'13"W
OS Eastings: 272492
OS Northings: 352365
OS Grid: SH724523
Mapcode National: GBR 60.CL5Z
Mapcode Global: WH554.0JB4
Entry Name: Tan-y-Castell Monument
Listing Date: 17 February 1997
Last Amended: 17 February 1997
Source ID: 18255
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Sited prominently on the roadside, immediately to the NE of Tan-y-Castell.
Locality: Dolwyddelan Castle
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Late C19 monument to the Jones brothers of Tan-y-Castell. The brothers, John (1796-1857), David (1805-1868), William (1801-1885) and Richard (1799-1850) were all Calvinistic Methodist ministers, the first two of great repute; John Jones is regarded as one of the most inspired and powerful preachers in the history of Welsh non-conformity. The monument is signed D. LL. J (for David Lloyd Jones).
Columnar monument of brown specked marble, some 7m high; of three cylindrical stages on a stepped cement-rendered rubble plinth. D-shaped cast-iron railed enclosure. Two-stage marble column on a square, chamfered marble base; moulded bases and abaci to each section. The lower, broader section has a recessed inscription plaque with, in raised lettering: 'In memory of 4 eminent brothers, John, William, David, and Richard Jones: Three ministers and one elder, 1796-1885'. Panelled decoration in inlaid lighter marble. The base of the upper section has inscribed panels: 'eloquence, music, theology, poetry.' Large urn finial to top.
Included for its special historic interest as a late C19 monument to the Jones brothers of Tan-y-Castell.
Group value with Nos 1 and 2 Tan-y-Castell.
Other nearby listed buildings