This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1375 / 52°8'14"N
Longitude: -4.0796 / 4°4'46"W
OS Eastings: 257772
OS Northings: 250834
OS Grid: SN577508
Mapcode National: GBR DR.7JQH
Mapcode Global: VH4GQ.7JMS
Entry Name: Bethel Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 24 February 1997
Last Amended: 24 February 1997
Source ID: 18265
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on N side of lane to Silian some 400m W of Junction with A485 at Glendenys.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Baptist Chapel built in 1831 and restored in 1955. The cause was founded in 1654, and a chapel built in 1735. Present chapel was built by John Evans of Tanygraig, (d 1843), who is buried in the iron railed enclosure to the rear of the chapel.
Unpainted roughcast with unpainted stucco dressings, all of 1955, and slate roof with metal ventilator. Small lateral facade with two cambered-headed 12-pane sashes in stucco surrounds with keyblocks. Date plaque between. Outer cambered headed doors with stucco surrounds and keyblocks. Pebble dash inserts each side of keyblocks. Double 2-panel doors. Channelled angle piers. End walls have small first floor 9-pane sash. Rear has C20 red brick added lean-to, two-storey.
Probably mid C19, possibly of 1831. Three-sided ceiling, sloping to back and front. Three-sided gallery on 3 reeded wooden marbled columns. Gallery front is curved at angles and has deep marbled cornice beneath row of vertical panels, and one round clock-panel to centre. Painted graining. Painted grained box pews in three blocks on rear wall, and one small block to right of pulpit. Plain great seat with canted ends. Pulpit with steps up each side and curved angles with blind balustrading. Curving top rail. Gallery stairs at rear corners, lobbies in front corners.
Listed as a well-preserved rural chapel retaining an exceptionally well-preserved attractive interior with painted grained and painted marbled finishes.
Other nearby listed buildings