This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.3945 / 52°23'40"N
Longitude: -4.0716 / 4°4'17"W
OS Eastings: 259138
OS Northings: 279406
OS Grid: SN591794
Mapcode National: GBR 8S.Q84R
Mapcode Global: VH4FK.C2WP
Entry Name: Crugiau
Listing Date: 17 September 1987
Last Amended: 24 February 2004
Source ID: 18288
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated down drive leading W from the A487 at Rhydyfelin from Crugiau Lodge.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Mid C18 gentry house raised and extended c1800-20. Deeds date from 1745, owned by John Davies died 1784 whose son John, agent to the Nanteos estate, acquired Tanybwlch by 1790. Davies married Jane Morris of Cyneiniog and one of their sons was General Lewis Davies of Tanybwlch (1777-1828). Altered in early C19 with new upper floor and refurbished entrance hall and dining room. By 1817 owned by Captain David Davies, occupant 1830 and 1844. The house had 40 acres(16.2 hectares). Sold with Tanybwlch estate in 1936. A roof beam in a former stable is dated 1789. To S of house are rubble garden walls with remnant of former building and a walled garden to SW.
Mid C18 small country house with early C19 alterations. Rubble stone with slate gabled roof with wide eaves and paired brackets of early C19 type and stone end stacks. (The roof slates laid in a central diamond pattern noted on listing have gone). Two-storey, 4-window front with mainly 12-pane sashes with cambered heads, stone voussoirs and slate sills. Wide spacing between first and second bays, with some indications of rebuilding in stone work here and to right of second bay. Ground floor left has wider window opening with 16-pane sash. Doorway in second bay in early C19 broad doorcase. Four-panelled timber door with long narrow side- lights and flanking panelled thin pilasters, console brackets and plain cornice. Line of earlier eaves visible.
Right end wall, to S, has first floor horned 12-pane sash. Left end wall has one similar ground floor window and marks of original lower gable line and chimney. Added rear wing to left with 12-pane sash each floor. Main rear wall in colourwashed rubble with rear wing to right with sash and pivot windows and paired horned sashes to kitchen, boarded door and rubble end stack. Rear built onto bedrock base.
Substantial original interior detail both of the mid C18 and early C19. Broad low hall with applied early C19 detail overlaying C18 work: four arches to rear wall, with reeded pillars and dentil cornices, opposite the entrance which is flanked by similar pilasters. Three bay ceiling with plastered beams, reeded soffits. Outer arches of rear wall are semicircular, a door to rear wing to left, a door to cupboard to right. Two elliptical arches to centre, the left one blank, the right one opens onto a short staircase enclosed and then branching at right angles each side, with turned newels, stick balusters and swept-up handrail. Elliptical arched early C19 sideboard recess to back wall of room to right with dado rail, cornice. Arched recesses each side of S end fireplace with lozenge glazing bars to cupboard doors. Two plastered beams with 'beads' to edge moulding. Panelled reveals to deep window splays. Left room has mid C18 fielded panelling with dado rail, and early C19 similar elliptical-arched alcove to rear wall with reeded pilasters. Moulded timber fireplace surround, possibly early C19, with early C19 iron grate. Two arched shelved recesses.
Six-bay main roof, 4-bay to rear wing. A-frame main trusses with ridge, trusses without collar to rear wing. Lapped purlins.
Graded II* as a well-preserved smaller Georgian country house with good detail both of the mid C18 in the N panelled room and the early C19 in the centre hall and S room.
Other nearby listed buildings