This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0456 / 53°2'44"N
Longitude: -3.7231 / 3°43'23"W
OS Eastings: 284581
OS Northings: 351199
OS Grid: SH845511
Mapcode National: GBR 67.D232
Mapcode Global: WH66B.SQ82
Entry Name: Agricultural Complex at Pant Glas
Listing Date: 8 April 1997
Last Amended: 8 April 1997
Source ID: 18331
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Located 100m to the N of Pant Glas farmhouse on a commanding hill-top site above the road.
Community: Ysbyty Ifan
Community: Ysbyty Ifan
Locality: Pant Glas
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
Agricultural complex dated 1883; built as part of a series of estate improvements and rebuilding works carried out by Lord Penrhyn of Penrhyn Castle, who acquired the Ysbyty Ifan and Eidda estates in the 1850s.
Large, planned agricultural complex, built around a quadrangular part-cobbled courtyard. Of rubble construction with some rough-dressed stone re-used from the demolished ranges of the former Pant Glas mansion to the W; hipped slate roofs with tiled ridges, machine-cut slate lintels and cills. The complex consists of a large, symmetrical 4-bay corn barn to the N with low byre and stable ranges advancing as flanking wings to the E and W; the courtyard is accessed from the S between two further storeyed blocks, that on the E side bearing a small datestone (1883). Large central entrance to corn barn with flanking tiered ventilation slits; C20 lean-to addition to R with corrugated asbestos roof, further entrance beyond. 2 large cart entrances to western front block; a 3-bay pigsty with slated roof adjoins to front of E block. The front blocks have upper haylofts accessed from the courtyard via external flights of coped, parapetted steps, that to the E rebuilt 1996.
Included as an exceptionally good example of a C19 estate-built agricultural complex with group value with Pant Glas farmhouse.
Other nearby listed buildings