This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.9099 / 52°54'35"N
Longitude: -3.5968 / 3°35'48"W
OS Eastings: 292714
OS Northings: 335911
OS Grid: SH927359
Mapcode National: GBR 6D.NNSX
Mapcode Global: WH675.Q4G1
Entry Name: Capel Tegid, Including Forecourt Railings, Gates & Gatepiers.
Listing Date: 25 April 1997
Last Amended: 13 December 2001
Source ID: 18375
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On NE side of square defined by chapel and buildings associated with its history.
Community: Bala (Y Bala)
Built-Up Area: Bala
Traditional County: Merionethshire
Chapel of 1865-67. By W H Spaull, architect, of Oswestry, replacing chapel of 1809, itself a rebuilding of chapel of 1757. The house on the NW corner of the square was the original home of the Bala College which moved to its new site in 1867. The earlier chapels, college, and open ground to SE of chapel (where open-air meetings were held) formed an important group in the history of Nonconformism in Wales. The 1875 chapel seats 1000 (town's population at time of building 1500), and cost £4000. The building's resemblance to buildings of the established church, especially the spire, caused resentment amongst some chapel members who saw the subsequent lean of the tower as divine retribution. The spire was, in fact, removed in 2000.
Gothic chapel. Of green/grey rough-dresed, snecked stone, with sandstone dressings and slate roofs. Entrance front faces square; (later) slate-hung gable, with 4-light upper window. Gothic entrance below with pointed-arched doorway having applied shafts and naturalistic foliage capitals; moulded label with foliated stops. Relief roundel in tympanum; boarded doors with simple Gothic ironwork. Flanking trefoil windows and shallow stepped buttresses to ends. To the L of the front is a truncated tower formerly with stone spire; cusped triangular window above lancet; ground floor doorway, diagonal buttress. The spire has been removed since the last inspection (1997) and has been given a modern slated gable. To R of front, set back, is a stair block with a round window above a Gothic doorway; 2-light window with plate-tracery to R return. Side elevations have five 2-light windows at 2 levels, with plain metal-framed windows; vestries to rear. Spherical-triangle window at rear gable apex. The forecourt at the entrance has 2 sets of stone gatepiers, and iron gates and railings with spear finials.
Body of chapel has braced roof; U-shaped gallery on iron columns, Gothic balcony frontal. At upper level, second level of columns with floral capitals supports Gothic arcading. Set Fawr enclosure with steps up to panelled pulpit; to rear, panelling supports organ case with exposed tiers of pipes. Vestries etc to rear; to front, staircase towers have wooden Gothic stairs with quatrefoil iron balustrade.
Listed as ambitious Gothic chapel making prominent contribution to an historically and architecturally important square within the Bala conservation area.
Group value with adjacent statue of Rev Thomas Charles.
Other nearby listed buildings