This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7557 / 51°45'20"N
Longitude: -4.1176 / 4°7'3"W
OS Eastings: 253935
OS Northings: 208451
OS Grid: SN539084
Mapcode National: GBR GT.NFZN
Mapcode Global: VH4JM.L41G
Entry Name: The Old School
Listing Date: 6 May 1997
Last Amended: 12 January 1999
Source ID: 18428
Building Class: Education
Location: On the west side of the A 476 in the centre of the village of Llannon, opposite the parish church.
Community: Llannon (Llan-non)
Locality: Llannon Village
Built-Up Area: Llannon
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Llannon National School was established by Rees Goring Thomas, the squire of Llannon, in 1841. It consisted at first of two rooms 4.3m by 6.1m in area and 4.3m high. It was built on a detached part of the churchyard, west of the village road, which is still consecrated ground. Later the school was rebuilt in two phases: a block to the south, dated 1872, which may be on the foundations of the old school, to which was joined a teacher's house dated 1882 to the north. It is now occupied as two separate dwellings: the party wall between them is at the north side of the porch.
Brown stone with polychrome stone relieving arches, red plain tiled roofs, stone chimneys. To left (south) is the gable of the main schoolroom with 4-light Gothic window, clock at apex, corner chimney on corbels to right. Wrought iron cross finials to gables. The left side elevation has a door flanked by windows (all replaced), the rear has two 2-light Gothic windows, with an oculus above. To right of the front gable the roof sweeps down over a porch. To right of this is a smaller gabled crosswing in a darker and harder stone with single window to first floor, double window to ground floor; between the windows is a relocated datestone with the words "Llannon National School 1841"; entrance to right (in the angle) under a hipped roof. To the right is a gabled dormer with window across the eaves, and paired windows to ground floor. Tall chimney at centre of the right gable, bearing the date 1882. Some replaced windows at rear.
The left block and the centre block behind the porch now constitute one dwelling. The left block is roofed in five bays, separated by arch-braced high-collar-beam trusses, including a king post and side braces rising from the centres of the collars. The purlins and rafters are exposed. In the conversion of this block intermediate floors have been inserted and new stairs have been constructed. In the centre block, behind the timber porch, there are also inserted floors. Between the two blocks there is a wide gothic archway.
The interior of the dwelling to the north of the party wall was not inspected on resurvey (July 1998).
Listed as well-preserved former C19 village school on a prominent site at the village centre.
Other nearby listed buildings