This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7211 / 51°43'15"N
Longitude: -4.6978 / 4°41'52"W
OS Eastings: 213751
OS Northings: 205930
OS Grid: SN137059
Mapcode National: GBR GF.4QTV
Mapcode Global: VH2PD.JZ9Z
Entry Name: Monument at Hean Castle
Listing Date: 7 May 1997
Last Amended: 7 May 1997
Source ID: 18444
Building Class: Commemorative
Location: Located to the SW of Hean Castle, on the right hand side of the main approach from the W gate. The column stands in front of a little gazebo set into an earth mound.
Locality: Hean Castle Estate
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A monument in the form of a Tuscan column. It commemorates Lady Anne, d.1902, wife of Sir William Thomas Lewis, 1st Baron Merthyr. The same lady is commemorated in the E window of St Issell's Church (with portrait). The inscription informs us that Lady Lewis was descended from a family eminent in the South Wales steam-coal trade.
Freestanding column about 0.6 m diameter and about 7 diameters in height, with Attic base, all in polished red granite It stands on a limestone base: a block carrying the inscription on the E side, on a plinth and three rock-faced steps.
Listed as a fine monument and for its group value with Hean Castle.
Other nearby listed buildings