History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Parsonage

A Grade II Listed Building in Penyffordd, Flintshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.1586 / 53°9'30"N

Longitude: -3.0411 / 3°2'27"W

OS Eastings: 330483

OS Northings: 362891

OS Grid: SJ304628

Mapcode National: GBR 73.55S7

Mapcode Global: WH88C.8V3X

Entry Name: Old Parsonage

Listing Date: 5 June 1997

Last Amended: 5 June 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18471

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated in its own grounds c500m NW of St. John the Baptist’s Church, reached from a short drive running E from the A550 at the N end of Penymynydd.

County: Flintshire

Community: Penyffordd (Pen-y-ffordd)

Community: Penyffordd

Locality: Penymynydd

Traditional County: Flintshire

Find accommodation in
Hawarden

History

The parsonage was built in 1846, possibly to the design of John Buckler who designed the neighbouring church of St John the Baptist in 1843. It is now privately owned.

Exterior

Restrained Elizabethan style, fine coursed masonry, slate roof, stone parapet and kneelers to gable ends, and circular buff terracotta chimneys which are grouped to give picturesque effect. Subrectangular plan with L shaped service range attached to the NW side, 2 storeys. The main elevation faces S towards the church. It is symmetrical with a central chimney rising from the gable and a central first-floor stone oriel with a moulded base which is flanked by 6-pane windows with label moulds. There is a central entrance with overlight flanked by tall tripartite windows. Right hand return elevation is gabled and has a window with label-mould in the upper floor and a bay window to the ground floor. Rear elevation has twin gabled roofs. The service wing is a low range which partly encloses a courtyard at the rear of the house.

Interior

Interior not inspected at the time of the 1997 survey.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a good little-altered example of an early Victorian parsonage of some architectural distinction.

Group value with the church of St. John the Baptist.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.