History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Maesteg Council Offices, with flanking walls and piers.

A Grade II* Listed Building in Maesteg, Bridgend

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.6089 / 51°36'31"N

Longitude: -3.6589 / 3°39'31"W

OS Eastings: 285225

OS Northings: 191309

OS Grid: SS852913

Mapcode National: GBR H9.9SGN

Mapcode Global: VH5GX.JTKH

Entry Name: Maesteg Council Offices, with flanking walls and piers.

Listing Date: 14 July 1997

Last Amended: 14 July 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18499

Building Class: Civil

Location: Located behind the town hall on the S side of Talbot Street.

County: Bridgend

Town: Maesteg

Community: Maesteg

Community: Maesteg

Built-Up Area: Maesteg

Traditional County: Glamorgan

Find accommodation in
Garth

History

Built in 1911-1913 by S J Harpur, surveyor to the council.

Exterior

Built of rubble stone with painted stone dressings. Baroque style. Two storeys with basement, 7 window bays. The front is symmetrical, bound by channel rusticated pilasters, and the centre slightly bowed forward, with paired columns with capitals with square volutes flanking the entrance.. The ground floor round-headed windows have architraved and eared surrounds, and have complex glazing pattern in iron, containing stained and coloured glass. The first floor has architraved 12-pane sashes with deep aprons and mutules. At the centre, a Venetian type window with scrolled motif above. The entrance is approached by 4 steps, and double doors in an egg and dart moulded surround. Above the heavy dentilled entablature is the inscription MAESTEG COUNCIL OFFICES on the frieze, and the date 1914 is cut on the raised parapet.
The facade has flanking walls sweeping down to gate piers, crowned with offsetting capitals and ball finials.

Interior

The building is centred on an open oval hall on three floors, with stairs winding up and down either side of a bridge from the entrance lobby, all on a compact scale, with Tuscan and Ionic columns with square volutes as the exterior. The stairs have an open well and iron balustrades. Doors off the oval hall to offices, with the Council Chamber to the right. This is in the form of a semicircular discussion chamber set within the rectangular space, the shape defined by four columns visually cutting off the corners. High dado panelling and panelled ceiling. Three rows of fixed bench seats with writing tables are set out on the semi-circle on the shallow stepped floor, with 5 aldermanic seats facing. Parquet floor. The windows are round headed, 4 x 3, with coloured glass with a circular MDC monogram. All carefully designed and on a small scale.

Reasons for Listing

Included at Grade II* as a ingeniously designed and integrated building in an unusual style, with carefully considered detailing, and one of a group of listed buildings at the centre of Maesteg.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.