This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6094 / 51°36'33"N
Longitude: -3.6572 / 3°39'26"W
OS Eastings: 285338
OS Northings: 191367
OS Grid: SS853913
Mapcode National: GBR H9.9SXN
Mapcode Global: VH5GX.KTF2
Entry Name: Church of St David, and surrounding churchyard railed wall.
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18502
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The church is set in a small graveyard on the corner of Talbot Street and Castle Street, at the centre of Maesteg.
Built-Up Area: Maesteg
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Built by Egbert Moxham of Neath in 1852-3 as a chapel of ease for Llangynwyd parish church, to provide more convenient orthodox anglican service for the growing community of Maesteg.
Constructed in snecked local Pennant sandstone, with a slate roof. Nave of 3 bays, chancel with lean-to side chambers slightly shorter, and a gabled N porch. Early English lancet style. The W front, facing Talbot Street, has 3 tall lancets between buttresses, and an oculus in the gable, which extends upwards as a tall elegant buttressed bellcote. N porch has moulded outer arch on nook shafts. Nave has pairs of lancets to each bay, spaced apart in the eastern bay. The E chancel has 3 stepped lancets on the E wall, with oculus over. A trefoil light is in the E nave wall, over the chancel roof.
Open trussed rafter roof, and moulded chancel arch. Tub font at W end, opposite the N door.
Included as a simply designed chapel in a conspicuous position, one of a group of listed buildings at the centre of Maesteg.
Other nearby listed buildings