This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5479 / 52°32'52"N
Longitude: -3.2371 / 3°14'13"W
OS Eastings: 316211
OS Northings: 295174
OS Grid: SO162951
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.DHPW
Mapcode Global: VH684.V712
Entry Name: Brynderwen Bridge and Bridge 147 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18513
Building Class: Transport
Location: Two bridges on the B4368 which links the A483 and Abermule village. Brynderwen bridge crosses the River Severn, to the E of bridge 147 over the Montgomeryshire canal.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Built-Up Area: Abermule
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The bridges were designed in 1853 by Thomas Penson, County Surveyor of Montgomeryshire. Brynderwen Bridge was constructed following a flood in 1852 which destroyed the former timber bridge which was approximately 400m downstream. One of three similar bridges in the County, the others being at Llandinam (1846) and Caerhowel (1858). The ironwork for both bridges was produced by the Brymbo Ironworks, the stone abutments built by David Wylie and the roadway by David Davies. The canal bridge is also likely to be a replacement for an earlier bridge.
The two bridges form a linked sequence over river and canal and appear to have been designed together. Brynderwen Bridge is a single span cast iron bridge with massive stone buttresses to each side. The deck is supported by 5 latticed cast-iron ribs, linked together by lateral iron tie bars. The arches of the inner 3 ribs are formed of lattice work in a criss-cross design, but the arches of the outer 2 ribs are formed by lettering which reads ‘THIS SECOND IRON BRIDGE CONSTRUCTED IN THE COUNTY OF MONTGOMERY’. The abutments are of roughed, dressed grey stone and are slightly splayed. They terminate as piers surmounted by squared sandstone blocks with pyramidal copings. The cast iron decking girders are decorated with moulded panels on the exterior and support iron railings without a parapet. Above the buttresses, the railings rise from a moulded sandstone sill and are contained by the sandstone piers. There are twice as many rails in the lower tier as the upper tier, and those that do not continue to the upper tier terminate as spikes just above the mid rail. The upper rails are cusped just below the hand rail. A cast iron plate attached to the railings reads ‘County of Montgomery’ and then provides warnings against carrying heavy weights over the bridge.
Over the canal is a flat iron girder bridge carried on plain brick abutments which return as buttresses with sandstone copings. A cast iron plate attached to the face of the girders reads BRYMBO 1853. The towpath is located on the E side and is separated from the canal by a red brick wall, probably of later construction and providing additional support for the bridge. The girders support cast iron railings, which are identical to those of the river bridge and have splayed ends.
Listed grade II* as an impressive engineering achievement of exceptional quality. The casting of the river bridge (including cast-in lettering) is very fine, and the constructional detail is of considerable refinement. The two bridges form a group of unusual interest.
Other nearby listed buildings