This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5591 / 52°33'32"N
Longitude: -3.2286 / 3°13'43"W
OS Eastings: 316803
OS Northings: 296407
OS Grid: SO168964
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.CZQG
Mapcode Global: WH7B1.CXSZ
Entry Name: Glanhafren
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18527
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on low lying ground between the River Severn and the Montgomery Canal Approached from the A483 via a bridge over the Canal. A former malthouse, now much altered, lies at right-angles to the
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The style is early C19. First shown on a map in 1820. To the rear, the house incorporates the remains of a sub-medieval house. A long range of outbuildings running to the E were added before 1886.
Regency-style symmetrical 3 bay front, 2 storeys and an attic. The central bay is advanced and open pedimented with billet moulding. Whitened brick under a slate roof with 2 brick end stacks. Six-panelled front door and overlight with radial glazing, within a moulded door case with small lead canopy. Above is a sash window renewed in PVC-U, and in the attic gable, a lunette window with radial glazing. The N and S bays have a 20-pane tripartite sash window to each storey. The windows are under flat arches with gauged brickwork and splayed ends, and have stone sills.
There are 3 parallel wings to the rear, all of brick under slate roofs and with 2 brick eaves stacks. The N wing is the widest and they get smaller towards the S. Plain barge boards. The central wing has a wide 2-storey canted bay window with hipped roof and tall axial stack. Sash windows, of 12 panes to the bay, and 6 or 9 panes elsewhere. C20 French windows to ground storey of N wing under a segmental brick arch. From the N wing, a single storey range projects northwards and has a C20 multi-pane casement in the gable end.
The front range is in 3 bays; a hall in the central bay with flanking reception rooms. Detail includes ornate moulded plasterwork to cornices and spine beams, and panelled shutters. Remains of the former sub-medieval house survive in the rear wings. The N range incorporates a bake oven complex; a curved wall with 3 recesses containing a washing area, a bakeoven and a fireplace. The opposite side of the stack (in the current kitchen and N wing) has a blocked fireplace with substantial lintel. This room contains massive deeply chamfered spine and cross beams, and subsidiary joists all with ogee stops.
Listed as a good example of a Regency house retaining much of its original character, and including the remains of what would have been an impressive sub-medieval house.
Other nearby listed buildings