This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5515 / 52°33'5"N
Longitude: -3.2352 / 3°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 316341
OS Northings: 295564
OS Grid: SO163955
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.DB58
Mapcode Global: VH684.W40C
Entry Name: Bridge 145 over the Montgomeryshire Canal
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18530
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge carries a trackway over the canal and is located to the N of bridge 146 and Brynderwen Lock. It is immediately E of the A483 Welshpool to Newtown road.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
One of a group of ‘fish-bellied’ iron bridges probably designed and constructed by George Buck, engineer of the Montgomeryshire Canal. He was engineer of the Western branch in 1832-3, and bridges of this type were built over a considerable period of time up to c1850. It has been suggested that this may be the only one to retain the original girder positions.
Cast iron ‘fish-bellied’ beam bridge. There are 5 original beams supporting a replacment deck of concrete with a plywood soffit The parapets consist of timber posts, at the ends and in the centre, and 3 rows of iron rails. These continue to the W and are splayed. The iron beams sit on sandstone padstones, probably rebuilt, on brick abutments. The abutments have chamfered blue brick copings and are splayed to the E where the towpath is located. To the W the abutments are straight, with curved buttresses running outwards and terminating with piers.
Listed as one of a small group of ‘fish-bellied’ iron bridges over the Montgomeryshire Canal. These bridges represent the early use of girders of this characteristic shape, designed to compensate for the low tensile strength of cast iron.
Other nearby listed buildings