This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5507 / 52°33'2"N
Longitude: -3.2359 / 3°14'9"W
OS Eastings: 316298
OS Northings: 295481
OS Grid: SO162954
Mapcode National: GBR 9W.DJ01
Mapcode Global: VH684.V4PY
Entry Name: Bridge 146 and Brynderwen Lock
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18531
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located at Brynderwen wharf to the E of the A 483.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
This stretch of the Montgomeryshire Canal (the Western Branch) was constructed between 1815 and 1821 under the direction of the engineer, Josias Jessop. The bridge and lock date to this phase of construction. The blue brick repairs are probably of the late C19, undertaken by the Shropshire Union Railways and Canal Company.
Single span brick arched bridge with lock continuing to the S from the abutments. The bridge has a brick string course and concrete deck. The N parapet is of red brick with sandstone coping; the S parapet is of blue brick with concrete coping. The parapets continue as curved returns terminating in piers, except to the NE. Straight brick abutments. Splayed blue brick walls continue at a low level from the N end of the abutments and contain slots for stop planks. The blue brick-lined lock chamber with sandstone copings continues towards the S. There are recesses for timber swing gates and stop gates with cast iron-lined rebates. The remains of a cast iron rack and pinion-operated gearing mechanism can be seen at the south end. Below this, a cast-iron lined culvert runs away from the canal on both sides. The overflow culvert is on the W side of the lock and its face has been repaired in timber. A simple timber access way has been constructed over the lock to the S of the S parapet.
Listed as a significant feature of the engineering works associated with the Montgomeryshire Canal, and part of an important group of canal features at Brynderwen wharf.
Other nearby listed buildings