This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5412 / 52°32'28"N
Longitude: -3.2521 / 3°15'7"W
OS Eastings: 315178
OS Northings: 294440
OS Grid: SO151944
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.DZZY
Mapcode Global: VH684.LD38
Entry Name: Bridge 149 over the Montgomeryshire Canal and Lock
Listing Date: 14 July 1997
Last Amended: 14 July 1997
Source ID: 18535
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located off a narrow lane which runs to the W of the A 483 and the River Severn. A small group of buildings including New House lie to the W.
Community: Llandyssil (Llandysul)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
This stretch of the Montgomeryshire Canal (the Western Branch) was constructed between 1815 and 1821 under the direction of the engineer, Josias Jessop. The bridge and lock date from this phase of construction. The blue brick repairs are probably of the late C19.
Bridge, with lock chamber extending to the S from the abutments. Single span brick arched bridge with keystones. Chamfered sandstone string course, blue brick parapets and sandstone copings. The parapets continue as curved returns terminating in piers with pyramidal sandstone copings. Steps lead down to the towpath on the E side immediately N of the bridge, and there is a cast iron handle. On the W side to the N is a blue brick projection with sandstone coping which contains the flat arched outflow of the overflow culvert. The lock chamber is of brick with sandstone copings. It is heavily overgrown but contains the remains of timber lock gates at the N end. There are cast iron-lined rebates for gates at both ends. The remains of a cast iron rack and pinion-operated gearing mechanism can be seen at the S end. The brick-lined overflow culvert is on the W side of the lock. To the S it is separated from the canal by a wide low brick wall.
Listed as a significant element of the engineering works associated with the western branch of the Montgomeryshire Canal.
Other nearby listed buildings