This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2233 / 53°13'23"N
Longitude: -4.1622 / 4°9'43"W
OS Eastings: 255745
OS Northings: 371760
OS Grid: SH557717
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0WZM
Mapcode Global: WH547.178T
Entry Name: Former Police Station
Listing Date: 18 July 1997
Last Amended: 18 July 1997
Source ID: 18555
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end is the former courthouse.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Town: Menai Bridge
Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)
Community: Menai Bridge
Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge
Traditional County: Anglesey
The police station is thought to have been built shortly after 1845, the date of the original indentures. A very similar design can also be seen at the former police stations in Brynsiencyn and Llangefni. Menai Bridge Courthouse was built abutting the northern end c.1868 and doorways have been cut through to allow access between the two buildings. A later extension to the rear of both buildings encloses a small open area that was once part of a larger courtyard. Ceased to be used as a police station in 1959. Both buildings are now owned by the Independent Evangelical Church, who bought the premises in 1985 from Ynys Mon Borough Council.
Two storey, 1 window range with lean-to porch to left, and 2 storey extension to rear. Abutted by courthouse to right. Square in plan. Limestone walls rendered and painted, with stressed limestone quoins, architraves and plinth. Hipped slate roof. Porch to left with hipped lean-to roof forming continuous outshut, square headed doorway and recessed boarded door, limestone dressings and eaves cornice. Paired 4-pane recessed sash window to ground floor front with single 4-pane sash over. Windows originally barred. Small fixed light with single iron bar on 1st floor, left side. Left side of outshut has 2 recessed 4-pane sash windows either end, that to rear end being larger. Single 4-pane sash window to upper storey of extension.
Internally altered but retaining much of original layout. Main door leads to slab paved passage in outshut, with office to right in front room, and two cells to rear. Blocked doorway to cells. Interior walls of passage to cells of brick with ceilings of large slate slabs. Cell doors have single-piece stone jambs and lintels, original heavy doors of thick boards with iron sheeting encasing cellward side, fitted with a single large bolt and view hole. Fixed metal frame, barred windows to rear of each cell. Upper storey room to rear of extension has cast iron fireplace set into decorative moulded fire surround.
Listed as a relatively complete C19 police station, retaining many features including cell doors. Built as a direct result of the growth of Menai Bridge in the mid C19, reflecting a need for local policing and law enforcement. Forms a group with the adjoining Magistrate's Court.
Other nearby listed buildings