History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Warehouses

A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2244 / 53°13'27"N

Longitude: -4.1617 / 4°9'42"W

OS Eastings: 255780

OS Northings: 371890

OS Grid: SH557718

Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0X32

Mapcode Global: WH547.16HX

Entry Name: Warehouses

Listing Date: 18 July 1997

Last Amended: 18 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18560

Building Class: Commercial

Location: A range of early to mid C19 warehouse buildings situated on the west side of Water Street, in the lower part of Menai Bridge.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Menai Bridge

Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)

Community: Menai Bridge

Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Menai Bridge

History

Early C19. A building called 'Stablau Porth Ddaniel' (Port Daniel stables) is recorded near the site in 1815, and may have been subsequently incorporated into part of the present building. This appears to be early-mid C19, built in several distinct phases of construction, and probably originally warehousing . A painted wooden sign on the building reads 'John Edwards Wholesale .... Est. 182-.' . Presently used as stores for University of Wales Bangor, Estates Department.

Exterior

Warehouse range, comprising 2 storeyed, 3-bay original range to centre, with 3 window range addition to left under the same roof, and further additions to either end, separately roofed. Walls of rubble masonry, addition to left built of smaller stones. Slate lintels. Hipped slate roof with projecting eaves to main range and added bay to left, pyramidal slate roof to added bay to right. Earliest part (to centre) has 3 double doors on ground floor, 1 blocked, with full height double door to 1st floor flanked by 16-pane sash windows. To left of 1st floor door are two beam ends flush with wall face, used to attach haulage mechanism. Addition to left has 2 double doors on ground floor under 3 16-pane sash windows, one now blocked. Beyond this, a further addition has central door flanked by windows to ground floor, 3 x2-pane sash windows to 1st floor front and 2 x12-pane sashes to left end. Addition to right has wide door on ground floor with sash window to 1st floor.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an impressive early C19 warehouse retaining much historic character and original detail, including 16-pane sash windows to 1st floor. The building reflects the economic growth of Menai Bridge in the early C19 following the construction of Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826, and the continued importance of maritime trade. It contributes to the historic character of the lower, quayside area of Menai Bridge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Princes Pier Wharf
    Between Porth Daniel and Porth yr Wrach, close to the former warehouse on Water Street, and built around a small rocky promontory.
  • II St. George's Pier Booking Office and gates
    Situated at the entrance to St. George's Pier, towards the end of St. George's Road in the lower part of Menai Bridge.
  • II Victoria Hotel
    Located on the east side of Bridge Street, between the town centre and Menai Suspension Bridge. The hotel is set back from the road with gardens to the rear overlooking the Menai Strait.
  • II English Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the south side of Bridge Street, next to the Victoria Hotel.
  • II No 2 Tan Bryn
    Situated close to the centre of Menai Bridge. The houses are slightly set back from and at an angle to the road, with small gardens to the front enclosed by a low wall and railings.
  • II No 1 Tan Bryn
    Situated close to the centre of Menai Bridge. The houses are slightly set back from and at an angle to the road, with small gardens to the front enclosed by a low wall and railings.
  • II* Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
  • II Menai Courthouse Church
    Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end of the former police station.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.