A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building.
In some locations, Street View may not
give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2243 / 53°13'27"N
Longitude: -4.1645 / 4°9'52"W
OS Eastings: 255598
OS Northings: 371878
OS Grid: SH555718
Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0WBW
Mapcode Global: WH547.0761
Entry Name: Bryn Lwyd
Listing Date: 18 July 1997
Last Amended: 18 July 1997
Source ID: 18569
Building Class: Domestic
Location: In an elevated position set above the NW side of Bridge Street opposite the English Presbyterian Chapel.
County: Isle of Anglesey
Town: Menai Bridge
Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)
Community: Menai Bridge
Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge
Traditional County: Anglesey
Mid - late C19.
Simplified Italianate-style villa; 2 storeyed with principal elevation a 4 window range to left, advanced bay to right. Stucco rendered with strongly moulded dressings, including eaves cornice, stressed angle quoins, string course and sill band to first floor windows. Hipped slate roof with rendered stacks to either end. Windows are 2-pane sashes in moulded architraves with stressed keystones. Full-height squared bay to right with tripartite sashes in each floor, the ground floor windows pedimented on moulded brackets. Entrance is through panelled double door to rear, right of the single storey extension to rear.
Reasons for Listing
Listed as retaining its character as a well proportioned villa which is good later example of the type of development which characterised the growth of the town following the building of the Menai Suspension Bridge in 1826.
Other nearby listed buildings
English Presbyterian Chapel
Prominently sited on the south side of Bridge Street, next to the Victoria Hotel.
Located on the east side of Bridge Street, between the town centre and Menai Suspension Bridge. The hotel is set back from the road with gardens to the rear overlooking the Menai Strait.
St. Mary's Church
In an elevated position on a rocky outcrop above the town, set back from the corner of Telford Road and Mona Road, N of the Menai Suspension Bridge.
Capel Mawr Chapel House
Within the grounds and S of Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel, at the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel
Prominently sited on the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
Milestone, Mona Road
Located on the east side of Mona Road, being the first milestone on the Anglesey side of the A5. Abutting the wall to the north of the gateway to St. Mary's Church.
New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
No 2 Tan Bryn
Situated close to the centre of Menai Bridge. The houses are slightly set back from and at an angle to the road, with small gardens to the front enclosed by a low wall and railings.