History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Mawr Chapel House

A Grade II Listed Building in Menai Bridge, Isle of Anglesey

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2235 / 53°13'24"N

Longitude: -4.1632 / 4°9'47"W

OS Eastings: 255682

OS Northings: 371795

OS Grid: SH556717

Mapcode National: GBR 5N.0WQR

Mapcode Global: WH547.07TL

Entry Name: Capel Mawr Chapel House

Listing Date: 18 July 1997

Last Amended: 18 July 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18571

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Within the grounds and S of Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel, at the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.

County: Isle of Anglesey

Town: Menai Bridge

Community: Menai Bridge (Porthaethwy)

Community: Menai Bridge

Built-Up Area: Menai Bridge

Traditional County: Anglesey

Find accommodation in
Menai Bridge

History

Built in 1860.

Exterior

Two storey 3 window range, symmetrical front with central doorway facing chapel. Pebble-dashed walls and stressed painted rendered dressings, with brick quoins and cornice continuing round as pediment in E gable. Slate roof. Openings with segmentally arched heads throughout; 12 pane sashes including one each floor of gable elevation facing street.

Reasons for Listing

Listed for its group value with Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II* Capel Mawr Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the corner of Chapel Street and New Street.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II Menai Courthouse Church
    Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end of the former police station.
  • II Former Police Station
    Located on the west side of Beach Road, in the lower part of Menai Bridge. Abutting the northern end is the former courthouse.
  • II English Presbyterian Chapel
    Prominently sited on the south side of Bridge Street, next to the Victoria Hotel.
  • II New Street
    New Street is between the main road through the settlement and the shore line, NE of the suspension bridge on the west side of a rocky outcrop.
  • II Bryn Lwyd
    In an elevated position set above the NW side of Bridge Street opposite the English Presbyterian Chapel.
  • II Victoria Hotel
    Located on the east side of Bridge Street, between the town centre and Menai Suspension Bridge. The hotel is set back from the road with gardens to the rear overlooking the Menai Strait.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.