This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5753 / 51°34'30"N
Longitude: -3.5037 / 3°30'13"W
OS Eastings: 295894
OS Northings: 187338
OS Grid: SS958873
Mapcode National: GBR HH.CX14
Mapcode Global: VH5H6.7N3R
Entry Name: Capel Newydd, also known as Glynogwr Methodist Chapel
Listing Date: 28 July 1997
Last Amended: 28 July 1997
Source ID: 18602
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: The chapel is aligned along the road from Blackmill to Gilfach Goch, and stands just E of the village of Glynogwr-Llandyfodwg.
Town: Ogmore Valley
Community: Ogmore Valley (Cwm Ogwr)
Community: Ogmore Valley
Traditional County: Glamorgan
The Calvinistic Methodist community in Glynogwr built the first nonconformist chapel in the valley on this site, and it was opened for worship on 24th October 1819. The present building results from a remodelling of that building in 1849, with further alterations in 1904-5 when the end doorways of the first long-wall plan were blocked and the entrance moved to the W gable end within a new porch, and the building reroofed. At the E end, Ty Capel was originally the chapel caretaker's house and stable, with the vestry above for the itinerent minister.
Built of coursed Pennant sandstone, with ashlar voussoirs to the round-headed windows and a slate roof, rendered on gable and rear walls. Two tall paned windows face the road, with a well lettered plaque between, reading GLYNOGWR / CALVINISTIC METHODIST CHAPEL, Rebuilt in the AD / 1849. At either end, blocked round headed door openings, originally with similar voussoired arches. Low entrance porch with a parallel roof and side door.
Simple and attactive country chapel interior, the walls rendered and lined out as ashlar. Ceiling with central ventilation rose. Part octagonal pulpit at the E end, with carved sides, set against an arched recess with flanking fluted pilasters. Rectangular set fawr with rounded corners. A timber screen conceals the interior from the entrance porch. Twenty-nine pine pews.
Included as an early building in the valley which has retained the essentially simple character of a chapel built by a country community.
Other nearby listed buildings