This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.4871 / 51°29'13"N
Longitude: -3.1596 / 3°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 319581
OS Northings: 177096
OS Grid: ST195770
Mapcode National: GBR KNJ.HW
Mapcode Global: VH6F7.6W0C
Entry Name: Clifton Church
Listing Date: 31 July 1997
Last Amended: 31 July 1997
Source ID: 18641
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: On W corner of Newport Road and Clifton Street.
Built-Up Area: Cardiff
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Former chapel (Presbyterian Church of Wales), built circa 1880.
Gothic chapel, Pennant stone with bathstone dressings, slate roofs. Gabled N front has 5-light window with geometrical tracery, bathstone banding. Doorway with geometrical overlight flanked by paired lancets. To W, (R) convex stair turret with lancets at 2 levels. To E, (L) tall, richly decorated tiered octagonal tower with stone spire, at bell stage, louvred cusped windows with quatrefoil tracery, below this, stepped forward, trefoil windows, set back under arches with free-standing shafts, arches surmounted by steep gables. Below this, set forward, transitional stage from square base whose corners rise as polygonal buttresses of this octagonal stage which has cusped lancets; tower base has cusped lancets and doorway to E. Sides of chapel have shallow stepped buttresses separating four tall 2-light windows with Geometrical tracery. To, rear, schoolroom range reads as transepts; to E,( Clifton Street), 3 stepped buttresses, doorway, Gothic windows at 2 levels, to W, quatrefoil window at apex, two-2-light windows to upper floor, two 3-light windows to ground floor.
Under conversion to arts centre at time of inspection.
Listed for its contribution (particularly its fine tiered spire) to approach to city centre. Group value with adjacent listed buildings.
Other nearby listed buildings