This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.2696 / 53°16'10"N
Longitude: -3.5406 / 3°32'26"W
OS Eastings: 297350
OS Northings: 375844
OS Grid: SH973758
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZQM.8N
Mapcode Global: WH65G.L26R
Entry Name: Mausoleum in Churchyard of the Church of St George
Listing Date: 5 August 1997
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 18665
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Set close to the N boundary of the churchyard, W of the W end of the church, adjacent to the site of the former church.
Locality: St George
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built in 1835-6 by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester, as a mausoleum for the Hughes family, and commissioned by William Lewis Hughes, first Baron Dinorben, created 1831, whose arms, impaling those of his first wife, Charlotte Margaret Grey, it bears. She died in 1835.
Built of Derbyshire sandstone, in an early Gothic revival style. Cubic in form, with buttresses at each corner, rising to heavily crocketed spirelets, each face gabled and similarly crocketed, and capped by a terminal fleur-de-lys. Three sides have blind 4-light Perpendicular traceried windows, but the S side has a carved coat-of-arms, Hughes, quartered with his wife, Charlotte Margaret Grey, with dragon and armed 'native Briton' supporter, and a large crest on a baronial coronet, wreath over. Below the arms, a scroll reading RHAD DUW A RHYDDID. The pyramidal roof is of stone slabs.
Included as an unusual and particularly fine churchyard mausoleum, and of group value with the church of St George.
Other nearby listed buildings