This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2948 / 53°17'41"N
Longitude: -3.5818 / 3°34'54"W
OS Eastings: 294668
OS Northings: 378708
OS Grid: SH946787
Mapcode National: GBR 3ZFB.CM
Mapcode Global: WH657.YFKZ
Entry Name: Abergele and Pensarn Station, 'Down' Platform Building
Listing Date: 5 August 1997
Last Amended: 5 August 1997
Source ID: 18705
Building Class: Transport
Location: The 'Down' platform building stands to the E of the Booking Hall, at the level of the line.
Built-Up Area: Abergele
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built probably in connection with the improvements being made to the line in 1883 when the former Chester and Holyhead Railway was taken over by the London and North Western Railway Company. The building was altered in 1902 when the track was widened, and the canopy cantilevered over the line was removed some time after 1964.
Buckley brindle brick with red brick dressings and blue brick plinth. Slate roof. Single storey, 12 closely set window bays plus 3 additional bays for the claokrooms at the E end. The openings are segmental headed with a 3-course brick keystone, and the arrises having sunk ovolo mouldings. Terracotta hood mould joins the dropped ends. Timber windows, and bays 1, 4, 6, 9 and 14 are extended down as door openings. Terracotta five-course cornice with moulded corbel table and coved cyma. Hipped slate roof. Two brick stacks with outsetting heads. At the W end, an open goods handling area, timber framed, with diagonal boarding and high level glazing, with iron columns supporting the valenced flat roof. The three bays at the E end are narrower, and have a saddle roof ventilator.
Not accessible at the time of inspection.
Included as a well preserved building at Abergele Station with good terracotta detailing, one of four such buildings forming a group.
Other nearby listed buildings