This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7212 / 51°43'16"N
Longitude: -3.0032 / 3°0'11"W
OS Eastings: 330800
OS Northings: 202968
OS Grid: SO308029
Mapcode National: GBR J5.2P9V
Mapcode Global: VH79L.WZQY
Entry Name: Former Mamhilad School
Listing Date: 7 August 1997
Last Amended: 7 August 1997
Source ID: 18727
Building Class: Education
Location: At the northernmost point of New Inn Community by the road to Mamhilad about 700m north west of the Usk Road roundabout.
Community: New Inn
Community: New Inn
Built-Up Area: Works, nr Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
A small country parish school built in 1856. The land was given by the Pontypool Park estate. The building has been converted to a house since WWII.
A small primary school and master's house combined, built of yellow brick with red brick and some stone dressings, with a Welsh slate and two kinds of plain red tile roofs. Minimal Gothic style. T shaped plan, with the house facing south with the school to the right of it, extended towards the road with a gabled porch. A further schoolroom projects at the rear. The school is single storey and the house two storeys.
Road elevation has a porch with a plank door in a Caernarvon arched head. Above this is a incised plaque SCHOOL 1856. Behind the porch is another gable with a quatrefoil window, and on the gable a small bell-turret with bell. This is brick below with a gabled stone finial. To the right of this gable is the projecting wing. This is wholly red brick with a Welsh slate roof and may be a later extension, but is closely matched. Two windows, mullion and transom casements with elliptical heads.
South elevation has two gables of different sizes to the house, with two over two sashes. The smaller gable is tiled, the larger slated.To the right the schoolroom has two 3 light mullion and transom windows.
Interior not available for inspection at time of resurvey (November 1996).
Included for its interest as a school built in the mid C19 on the Pontypool Park estate. It has a pleasing domestic architectural character which survives unaltered externally.
Other nearby listed buildings