This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7241 / 51°43'26"N
Longitude: -4.2706 / 4°16'14"W
OS Eastings: 243267
OS Northings: 205264
OS Grid: SN432052
Mapcode National: GBR GQ.BHL6
Mapcode Global: VH3M2.XXNN
Entry Name: Bridge at Moat Farm
Listing Date: 11 August 1997
Last Amended: 23 July 2003
Source ID: 18753
Building Class: Transport
Location: Moat Farm is 300m NW of Llandyry church, and reached by farm road on the NW side of the B4317. The bridge is on the N side of the farm.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
A bridge spanning the Afon Morlais and a branch of the Kidwelly & Llanelli Canal. The canal, begun in 1812, was built between Llanelli and Kymer's Canal (1769) on the E side of Kidwelly. The short branch to Moat Farm was completed by 1824, and beyond it a tramroad continued to Trimsaran Colliery. Later the canal was taken over by the Burry Port and Gwendraeth Valley Railway and in 1869 it built a railway mainly on the bed of the old canal. The branch to Moat Farm was also laid with rails in 1873. The BP&GVR was taken over by the Great Western Railway in 1922. The branch line to Moat Farm was closed and its rails taken up in 1962. The bridge carries a farm road and is shown on the 1839 Tithe map.
A 2-span single-carriageway bridge of rubble stone with segmental freestone arches. Between the main spans is a smaller rubble-stone arch, visible only on the upstream side, connected to a watercourse. The flat deck has a parapet with cock-and-hen coping, which is splayed out at the NW end and at the S end curves slightly towards the farmyard.
Listed as a well-preserved early C19 bridge associated with a former canal and the local mining industry.
Other nearby listed buildings