History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Capel Mair

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Clydogau, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1439 / 52°8'37"N

Longitude: -4.0156 / 4°0'56"W

OS Eastings: 262170

OS Northings: 251424

OS Grid: SN621514

Mapcode National: GBR DV.72L0

Mapcode Global: VH4GR.BCYV

Entry Name: Capel Mair

Listing Date: 11 August 1997

Last Amended: 11 August 1997

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18759

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated just NW of Pont Llanfair, overlooking bridge, between chapel house and vestry, in narrow forecourt with iron railings on low walls.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Lampeter

Community: Llanfair Clydogau

Community: Llanfair Clydogau

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfair Clydogau

History

Independent chapel originally of 1825, rebuilt in 1845, with galleries inserted in 1860s.

Exterior

Rubble stone with some red brick dressings and slate roof. Lateral facade with two arched doorways with stone voussoirs, one large arched centre window with recessed red brick head, two gallery lights, aligned over doors, with red brick cambered heads, and small plaque with red brick shallow-arched head between. Doors and windows were replaced in mid C20, ledged doors with sidelights and plate glass in fanlights, radiating-bar head to main window, 8-pane horned sashes to gallery lights. Centre plaque is slate, arch-headed with inscription in a bordered roundel, giving 1825 date and 1845 rebuilding date. Slate sills. Stone right end wall, roughcast left wall, each with gallery window with stone voussoirs.

Interior

Painted grained woodwork, the gallery apparently of the 1860s, but pews maybe of 1845, pulpit and great seat of 1860s or later, but all grained to match. Three-sided gallery with plain cornice under panelled front of long panels alternating with square panels. Centre clock. 5 plain iron columns. Panelled box pews, two blocks in centre, raked pews at right angles under galleries each side. Raked gallery pews. Curved great seat with framed boarded panels. Pulpit with steps up each side, turned balusters, ball-finial newels. Similar balustrade to platform each side of projecting 3-sided pulpit. This has simplified Gothic tracery to the three panels. C20 ceiling with plastered beams.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as an attractive chapel front, with centre window to lateral facade, retaining its regional character and galleried interior. Group value with Pont Llanfair.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.