This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7363 / 51°44'10"N
Longitude: -4.6976 / 4°41'51"W
OS Eastings: 213828
OS Northings: 207621
OS Grid: SN138076
Mapcode National: GBR GF.3QWB
Mapcode Global: VH2PD.JMF9
Entry Name: Tramway Bridge
Listing Date: 1 September 1997
Last Amended: 1 September 1997
Source ID: 18861
Building Class: Transport
Location: Over Ford's Lake in the village of Stepaside, to the SE of Brook Cottages. Ford's Lake is the Community boundary between Amroth and Kilgetty/Begelly.
Built-Up Area: Stepaside
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
The bridge carried a private branch of the tramway known as the Saundersfoot Railway to the high level of Kilgetty Ironworks of the Pembrokeshire Coal and Iron Company (which commenced production in 1849) and on to Grove Colliery of the same Company. As it is likely to have been one of the first things constructed, its date is probably c.1846. It probably remained in tramway use until the closure of the colliery in c.1900.
The bridge therefore served a section of the tramway the main purpose of which was to bring coal, ore and limestone to the furnacehead level of the ironworks. It now carries a footpath, and may have been widened.
Single-arch skew bridge of local sandstone, with an arch span of about 4 m. and a width of about 6 m. Low parapet on the SW side, restored, with modern railings.
Listed as a good stone bridge of special interest for its association with the listed tunnels and bridge of the Saundersfoot Railway in Saundersfoot Community and the listed ironworks and colliery buildings in Kilgetty/Begelly Community.
Other nearby listed buildings