This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7507 / 51°45'2"N
Longitude: -4.5387 / 4°32'19"W
OS Eastings: 224857
OS Northings: 208825
OS Grid: SN248088
Mapcode National: GBR GJ.GYMY
Mapcode Global: VH2PH.88Y8
Entry Name: Llanmiloe House
Listing Date: 19 September 1997
Last Amended: 9 March 2001
Source ID: 18870
Building Class: Domestic
Location: About 2km E of Pendine, prominently sited on rising ground to the N of the A4066.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Country house of 1720 rebuilt in the mid C19 for Morgan Jones, also of Penylan Cards. and of the family of Cilwendeg, Pembs., whose fortune derived from the dues from the Skerries light-vessel, sold to Trinity House in 1841. Drawings from circa 1850 show just the central block, but some extensions visible on later C19 OS maps. The present appearance of the house with large 4-window wings dates from c 1905.
Llanmilo is associated with the Mortimer family of Coedmor, Cards. in the later C17. Roger Mortimer 1671-1703 left an heiress who rebuilt Llanmilo in 1720. She married into the Edwardes, later Tucker-Edwardes family of Sealyham, Pembs. The family sold the estate in 1830-7 to the 2nd Lord Kensington of St Brides, Pembs, and he sold it probably in the 1840s to Morgan Jones whose family held it until 1941 when compulsorily purchased for military use, in which it remained until c1996. In 1873 Morgan Jones' estate was of 11,031 acres.
Country house with 3-storey central block and 2-storey wings. Rough-cast render over stone, roofs in natural slate and slate substitute roofs behind parapets with copings. Central block of 7 windows, with 3 central windows slightly advanced, windows camber-headed with chiefly hornless sash glazing with central glazing bars; second floor windows have 4 panes over 2, tall first floor windows,4 panes over 6, 4 panes over 4 to ground floor. Central classicising square porch with moulded cornice, Roman Doric columns, small-pane side windows to sides.
To each side, slightly asymmetrical two-storey 4-window blocks with tall parapets, and semi-circular bay windows with parapets and 5 camber-headed sash windows (glazed with curved glass). Right wing, where ground falls has basement with 2 mullioned windows. To right, further 2-window block, set back, and later 2-storey block, set back again.
To rear, a complex of blocks of various periods; windows are generally 12-pane hornless sashes. A previously free-standing outbuilding has been attached to the house. (all above from 1997 survey).
Interior not accessible but said to be much altered (1997), chiefly modern detailing, but retaining some late C19/early C20 detailing eg doors, skirtings. Entrance hall with modern stair; room to right some moulded plaster garlands, also in dining room (?) beyond, with classical detailing to bay window. To left of hall, small room with wooden fireplace in late C17 style, larger room with bay window with classical detailing.
One of the largest country houses in the county, finely sited, with early C18 origins.
Other nearby listed buildings