History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ceulan Mills

A Grade II* Listed Building in Tal-y-bont, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.486 / 52°29'9"N

Longitude: -3.9809 / 3°58'51"W

OS Eastings: 265584

OS Northings: 289413

OS Grid: SN655894

Mapcode National: GBR 8X.JDGS

Mapcode Global: VH4F0.YS92

Entry Name: Ceulan Mills

Listing Date: 19 September 1997

Last Amended: 19 September 1997

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 18885

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated behind houses on main road, on W bank of Ceulan, approached through grounds of Glenydd and Wern.

County: Ceredigion

Town: Aberystwyth

Community: Ceulanamaesmawr

Community: Ceulanamaesmawr

Locality: Talybont

Built-Up Area: Tal-y-bont

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Talybont

History

Later C19 woollen mill. Water-wheel dated 1891 on water-wheel. A Pelton wheel added later. The mill provided electricity for Talybont in earlier C20. Said to have been in operation from 1860-1962, owned throughout by the Morgan family.

Exterior

Rubble stone with slate roof. Two-storey, seven-window range, windows with thin slate sills, brick heads and simple vertical glazing bars to fixed-lights, 3-light and some 4-light. E front has door with 8-pane overlight in left bay and altered opening with timber lintel in fourth bay. S end wall has exceptionally large (7.7 m diameter) iron breastshot waterwheel, the iron hub marked 'J. Edgar, Dublin', the iron rim 'Griffith Ellis & Co 1891 Aberystwyth'. Two first floor windows and one apex window.

Rear has seven bays, outside steps to first floor right door. Door in ground floor third bay from left. N end has late C19 or early C20 cast-iron Pelton wheel, worked from underground leat. First floor windows above.

Interior

Interior not inspected, said to have complete surviving late C19 or early C20 machinery, carding engines, looms warping frame etc on ground floor, two spinning mules on first floor.

Reasons for Listing

A rare surviving example of a late C19 rural textile factory, of special interest for the late use of water power, and as a comprehensive mill carrying out all processes of woollen production.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Tyrrel House
    Situated in terrace of four houses, Nos 1-3 Tyrrel Place and Tyrrel House, just S of filling-station
  • II No 3 Tyrrel Place
    Situated in terrace of four houses, Nos 1-3 Tyrrel Place and Tyrrel House, just S of filling-station
  • II No 2 Tyrrel Place
    Situated in terrace of four houses, Nos 1-3 Tyrrel Place and Tyrrel House, just S of filling-station
  • II No 1 Tyrrel Place
    Situated in terrace of four houses, Nos 1-3 Tyrrel Place and Tyrrel House, just S of filling-station
  • II Tabernacle Baptist Chapel
    Situated towards N end of Talybont, adjoining and to S of Bethel Chapel, both behind matching late C
  • II* Bethel Independent Chapel
    Situated towards N end of Talybont, adjoining and to N of Tabernacle Chapel, both behind matching ir
  • II The Black Lion Hotel
    Situated in centre of Talybont facing SW over the triangular green.
  • II NE range, Middle Factory, Leri Mills
    Situated on S bank of the Leri, some 150m W of Talybont Bridge, at upper end of mill complex.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.