This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.4871 / 52°29'13"N
Longitude: -3.9823 / 3°58'56"W
OS Eastings: 265498
OS Northings: 289530
OS Grid: SN654895
Mapcode National: GBR 8X.JD4J
Mapcode Global: VH4F0.XRL8
Entry Name: Tabernacle Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 19 September 1997
Last Amended: 19 September 1997
Source ID: 18890
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated towards N end of Talybont, adjoining and to S of Bethel Chapel, both behind matching late C19 iron railings.
Built-Up Area: Tal-y-bont
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Baptist Chapel of 1834 refronted in 1931 to designs by J Lewis Evans of Aberystwyth. The original chapel was said to have built in 1815 but facade gives 1812 as date. Derelict 1997.
Colourwashed stucco with slate eaves roof. Lateral facade of two long arched windows outer doors and upper gallery lights wholly remodelled in classical style in 1931. Channelled high plinth, to sill level, three pilasters framing main windows with moulded bases, fluted lower halves, festooned mid-panel and plain upper halves, no capitals. Full entablature breaks through eaves to modillioned pediment with shield plaque 'Tabernacle B 1812'. Arched windows are small-paned, tall, with eared architraves and elongated triple keystones. Outer bays have double 3-panel doors recessed under pediments on consoles rising from main sill course. Angle channelled pilasters and round gallery lights with apron pendant and elongated triple keystone. Bracketted eaves. End walls have 16-pane sash each floor. Rear 2-window, 2-storey range of 16-pane sashes and 2 added lean-to outbuildings.
Lower pews removed. Five sided panel-fronted earlier C19 gallery on 4 plain iron columns. Panelled pulpit with curved angles, fluted pilasters and steps each side. Great seat with balustraded back.
A handsome early C19 chapel, with classical facade of the inter-war period, of group value with Bethel Chapel adjoining.
Other nearby listed buildings