This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2141 / 53°12'50"N
Longitude: -4.1831 / 4°10'59"W
OS Eastings: 254321
OS Northings: 370780
OS Grid: SH543707
Mapcode National: GBR 5M.1JBM
Mapcode Global: WH546.QG8W
Entry Name: Lion on W side of S entrance to Britannia Bridge
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 18907
Building Class: Transport
Location: The lion is mounted high above the original rail approach to the bridge, and is accessed by a track passing through the Treborth-uchaf farm group.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
One of a pair, probably designed by Francis Thompson, architect, and erected on the southern approach to the bridge prior to the opening of the Britannia Bridge in 1850.
Rock faced sandstone plinth, 5 courses high, with a single course scappled pedestal carrying a large limestone crouching lion gazing to the SE, built up from 11 large pieces of limestone and carved in a bold Egyptian style. Each lion cost £1,024.
Included at Grade II as an important element in the design of the bridge, a pair with the lion on the NE side, and of group value with the bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings