This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1997 / 53°11'58"N
Longitude: -4.1161 / 4°6'57"W
OS Eastings: 258745
OS Northings: 369046
OS Grid: SH587690
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.2GLV
Mapcode Global: WH547.RT4X
Entry Name: The 'Stepped' Bridge to Britannia Park.
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 22 September 1997
Source ID: 18916
Building Class: Transport
Location: The bridge carries the driveway between Britannia Park and Treborth Hall over the Chester to Holyhead Railway.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The bridge was constructed at the instigation of Richard Davies, MP, shortly after the opening of the Chester to Holyhead Railway in 1850, to link his residence, Treborth Hall, with Britannia Park and the Suspension Bridge. The design suggests that Davies engaged the services of a railwayman, perhaps their architect, Francis Thompson.
Built of rock-faced coursed stone, with freestone dressings. The bridge carries a driveway across the railway cutting, where the 2 sides are of very different height, necessitating a stepping down to the N of 5 segmental arches set on battered piers. The freestone voussoirs are chamfered, and the ashlar parapet is arcaded between terminal piers which are carried down as pilasters. The arcade, mounted on a moulded string, has rectangular openings and the coping is moulded and chamfered. The parapet is splayed on to abutments at each end.
Included as an impressive and unusual design on a large scale for a railway bridge reflecting the special circumstances of its siting.
Other nearby listed buildings