This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.2082 / 53°12'29"N
Longitude: -4.1216 / 4°7'17"W
OS Eastings: 258406
OS Northings: 370010
OS Grid: SH584700
Mapcode National: GBR 5Q.1TGT
Mapcode Global: WH547.NMJB
Entry Name: Railway bridge at Ffridd-carw
Listing Date: 22 September 1997
Last Amended: 13 July 2004
Source ID: 18920
Building Class: Transport
Location: This bridge is located on a track running E off the Bangor road, approximately 1km N of Glasinfryn village
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
The railway bridge was built c1884 for the new standard gauge Bangor and Bethesda Branch of the London and North-Western Railway, and ran in parallel to the former Penrhyn mineral railway on the opposite bank of the Afon Cegin. It is now disused and the track removed.
The bridge carries the single track line on a high embankment over the access to the former Ffridd-carw farm. It has alternate dark red and blue brick courses to abutments, capped with margin-dressed rock-faced stone copings and dressings. The splayed sides fall steeply to coped end piers. The bridge itself consists of two wide compound girders, one under each line, with an arched iron plate spanning between them, the girders supported on corbels. The guard rail each side consists of rivetted angles, forming an open lattice, and angle top member, spanning to coped and weathered abutment piers.
Included as an interesting example of a simply constructed railway bridge.
Other nearby listed buildings