This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1745 / 52°10'28"N
Longitude: -3.9658 / 3°57'56"W
OS Eastings: 265673
OS Northings: 254733
OS Grid: SN656547
Mapcode National: GBR DX.52YC
Mapcode Global: VH4GL.6LTX
Entry Name: Enclosure walls, steps and memorial plaque to Quaker Burial Ground at Werndriw
Listing Date: 30 September 1997
Last Amended: 30 September 1997
Source ID: 18949
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on hill-slope some 70m SE of Werndriw, which lies 1 km WSW of Llanddewi Brefi, down drive running S from B4343.
Community: Llanddewi Brefi (Llanddewibrefi)
Community: Llanddewi Brefi
Locality: Llanfair Road
Built-Up Area: Llanddewi Brefi
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
C18 Quaker burial ground. Werndriw was an ancient house belonging to the George family c1700 and the Jenkins family in the late C18, described as very dilapidated in 1860. Friends' meetings seem to have been held there from the time of Samuel George (d1712) and his sister Ann Evans. The graveyard wall was rebuilt in the C19 (before 1874) by Mrs Jenkins and kept in repair by T. Hughes of Neuadd Fawr, nr Lampeter, owner c1900.
Small graveyard enclosed by rubble stone walls of some 2 m height at upper end and 1.5 m at lower. E side has 3 stone slab steps up and 3 down within. On E wall is memorial, slate plaque in stone surround with simple pediment. The inscription reads 'In this sequestered spot repose the mortal remains of John Jenkins, of Werndriw, and of Anne, his wife. She died September 1771 and he February 1790. Here also lie buried their five children Thomas Henry, William, John, Anne Elizabeth and Maria Letitia. David Joel Jenkins of Lampeter, the sole surviving child of the said John and Anne Jenkins placed this tablet in affectionate remembrance of father, mother, brothers, sisters.'
Listed as an unusual survival, historically important as the only such in Cardiganshire.
Other nearby listed buildings