This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5712 / 51°34'16"N
Longitude: -3.128 / 3°7'40"W
OS Eastings: 321917
OS Northings: 186420
OS Grid: ST219864
Mapcode National: GBR J0.D7WM
Mapcode Global: VH6DV.QRPW
Entry Name: Generating House and attached workshops to north-west of Ruperra Castle
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 5 March 1999
Source ID: 18973
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated immediately to the west of the stable and coach-house courtyard which is close to Ruperra Castle. Ruperra is reached by a lane running east from the village of Rudry.
Community: Rudry (Rhydri)
Locality: Ruperra Castle
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Probably built in 1920's contemporary with the second phase of estate improvements carried out by Commander Courtney Charles Evan Morgan after he inherited in 1909. It was at this time that electricity was supplied to the estate by steam driven generators.
Ruperra Castle was built c1626 for Sir Thomas Morgan and remained in the family until it was sold in 1962.
L-plan single-storey block, roughcast and hipped slate roof as on neighbouring estate buildings. Similar small-pane casement windows with cambered heads. Broad gabled louvre.
Generators and other machinery in attached workshops now removed.
Included for group value with Ruperra Castle and the stable and coach-house courtyard as a surviving estate building.
Other nearby listed buildings