This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7669 / 51°46'0"N
Longitude: -4.7369 / 4°44'12"W
OS Eastings: 211242
OS Northings: 211125
OS Grid: SN112111
Mapcode National: GBR CW.ZX9M
Mapcode Global: VH2P5.VV4C
Entry Name: Milepost South of Templeton Village
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18981
Building Class: Transport
Location: 400 m S of Templeton Church.
Locality: Templeton Village
Built-Up Area: Templeton
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A milepost on one of the roads which were shown on the map in the 1844 Inquiry Report as managed by the Tavernspite Turnpike Trust. The Trust appears to be of C18 origin. It was controlled under an act of 1808. Following the Rebecca riots all Pembrokeshire turnpike roads were taken over in 1845 by the County Roads Board. It was probably after this consolidation that the foundry of Joseph Marychurch, Haverfordwest, cast the plates for the mileposts.
Milepost consisting of two cast-iron plates each with its top pointed. The plates are butted together at 90 degrees, fixed to a solid backing but not fixed to each other.
The S-facing plate reads '3 miles to Narberth'. The N-facing plate reads '7 miles 970 yards to Tenby'. Both plates have the wording 'Marychurch Foundry' in smaller lettering at the foot.
Listed as a C19 cast-iron milepost a well-preserved example of a distinctive local type.
Other nearby listed buildings