This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7829 / 51°46'58"N
Longitude: -4.6372 / 4°38'14"W
OS Eastings: 218184
OS Northings: 212648
OS Grid: SN181126
Mapcode National: GBR D0.YY5Q
Mapcode Global: VH2P7.KGV3
Entry Name: Cyffic and Lampeter Velfrey Parish Boundary Stone
Listing Date: 15 October 1997
Last Amended: 15 October 1997
Source ID: 18986
Building Class: Civil
Location: N side of the B4328 on the old county and parish boundary at Tavernspite.
Community: Lampeter Velfrey (Llanbedr Felfre)
Community: Lampeter Velfrey
Built-Up Area: Tavernspite
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
A stone probably of late C18 date. Its purpose was very probably to define the boundary in order to avert disputes over which parish was liable for relieving paupers under the Old Poor Law. The existence of a similar stone at Crinow and possibly a lost third one on the Narberth to Prince's Cross road suggests these were put up at the initiative of the Lampeter Velfrey parish guardians. With the formation of the Narberth Poor Law Union under the 1834 Act the stones would have become redundant. This stone has probably been moved back for traffic safety.
A stone 0.5 m wide with a top in two shallow lobes and a slightly angled face. Incised outlines indicating hands point left and right, with cuffs indicated by a wavy line. The lettering under the left-pointing hand reads 'Lanpeter felffre Parish Pembroke shire' and under the right-pointing hand 'Kyffig Parish Carmarthen shire'. Each column of lettering is justified to the centre. A benchmark has been added (probably c.1860).
Listed as a relic of the Old Poor Law, with neatly cut and well set-out lettering and carving of some character.
Other nearby listed buildings